Saturday, November 29, 2008

Aaron's First Post!

We have almost been here for 3 months and I realized that I have only posted once, . I had these really great intentions to post on the blog every week, but I guess that I have not done a very good job of following through with this. I will use being busy as my excuse, but if I am being honest, I have to admit that I have had some time and just haven't done it...

SORRY!

So here is my first official update on the blog...

The last couple of weeks Tom and I have been working at the construction site where the new school, orphanage, and multi purpose hall are being built. The orphanage roof was just finished last week and is looking very good. It is our hope that this building will soon be completed and the the kids can move into their new home. The other two structures (the school and multi purpose hall) have not been started yet but the construction of these buildings will begin soon. We have been making bricks for these structures since we have arrived so hopefully we will see some great progress on them in the next couple of months.

Since Pastor Charles and Ba Margret have been gone the last two weeks, picking up the new bus for hope ministries, I have been named the new foreman at the work site. (haha) I am still trying to figure out what this means, and the language barrier between myself and the other workers makes this job interesting and challenging. Basically we all just work together and the title foreman doesn't seem to fit, I do however have to make sure some of the projects that are assigned are being done.

Since the rainy season is officially here, the main project that we have been involved with the last couple of weeks has been building a new shelter to keep the bricks out of the weather and reinforcing the church roof so that we don't wet on Sundays. The church structure is made from scrap pieces of wood, I would call it a glorified wood shed, but church is not about the building and more about the people, and we have had some of the best worship services in this building. We were able to finish both these projects to the best of our abilities, but it would be a lie if I said that the church wouldn't leak anymore, because it still does, but it is better then before and at least we don't have to worry about the ceiling falling on us, which was truly a concern.

The other project that we have been involved in has been a rotating fund program where we are helping people in the village of Twapia (where we are doing all of our work) to start small businesses such as selling charcoal, tomatoes, or whatever else they want to sell to generate some income. Thanks to a generous donation from a friend back home, we have been able to start up this loan program and if it goes well eventually they will pay back the loan and we can then give it to another group of people so they can start their businesses. I hope and pray that this will be a successful program and some families here in Twapia will begin to be able to support themselves. I will be keeping you all updated on how this program is working throughout the next couple of months.

Tom and I have also been given the honor of preaching the entire month of November which has been an exciting and challenging experience, but so far so good. The people here are so gracious to us and easy to talk to, and they have told us that we have really blessed them through our messages, but I believe that they have really blessed us through their loving and gracious spirits. I think that these blessings are from God and maybe we should give all the credit to our Lord and Savior. Everyone is truly blessed because of Him.

Well I should get going, I still need to finish planning for the sermon tomorrow. So until next time, which will be in another 3 months, just kidding, goodbye. Thank you all so much for your love, support, and prayers.

Gods Love and Peace
Aaron

P.S. And just so you all know, my suitcase has still not come, I am losing hope.

2 comments:

Brady said...

Aaron, sweet post man and no worries on writing enough although I'm sure your parents would appreciate it. Speaking of which, I met them at our 4 Miles to Hope event and they are just awesome. It was great to get to know them a bit more and hear your story. Know we're thinking and praying for you guys lot's! Keep building them bricks!

Anonymous said...

Prayers your way Tom and the rest of you, from Hannah and the Grahams!
Do not grow weary in doing what is good! Let all that you do be done in love! Keep going!