Friday, January 23, 2009

Right on time for 2009! ...well, sort of...

Hey all!

Sorry, it’s been so long since I’ve written. I admit that I’ve been a slacker when it comes to writing on this blog but at least the girls are good at regularly updating it. However, I wouldn’t want any of our readers to feel overwhelmed with the amount of information that they have to keep up on in our lives here. Too many posts means more work for you, the reader, so think of it as me doing you a favor; I’m trying to help you simplify your life, ok? You’re welcome. Moving on…

It’s been quite a whirlwind of a month, and the New Year has gotten off to a pretty fast start. The kids had the month of December off of school, so we spent a lot of time at the orphanage playing games, singing, dancing, celebrating birthdays, and thanking God for the miracle of Christ and Christmas! The kids are a constant joy, and we see God and His love in each and every one of them every time we hang out. They are definitely a blessing to us all.

On Christmas Eve, we got together as a family and exchanged some gifts and ate candy. What more could you want? Plus, I got socks and underwear! Some things never change. Mothers will be mothers. The material is actually really comfortable, you should get some.

Christmas was fun—we attended a wedding for a couple in our church, and I even helped officiate the service! (Watch out couples everywhere!) It was a privilege and an honor. And last I heard, the couple is madly in love and are going to spend the rest of their lives together serving God. One for one, baby.

Then a couple of days later, the “Alpaca Master”, Chad C. came to visit. This guy is awesome. He traveled over 9,000 miles on three different planes, and almost lost one of his bags, just to come hang out with me and check out life in Zambia. We had a lot of fun and made it down to Livingstone to see Victoria Falls, some sweet animals, go gorge swinging, and relax a little. Thanks for coming man, hope ya had fun, it was good times for sure!

At the same time Chad was visiting, the group from North Park also made it over for a couple of weeks. It was awesome to see all of them, and of course to receive the wonderful gifts that they brought with them from home too! So here go the “Thank yous...” In alphabetical order…

Amanda D.- I bet you were behind the pictures and the frame/stand they came in…not because Jon’s not creative…but, well it was just a “you” thing. If I’m wrong, pass along the thanks, but if I’m right, well then thanks!

Anders- Thanks for the card man. You sure do have a way with words… I’m still trying to figure out what “way” that is, but something transcendent happens when you put the pen to the paper. It made me laugh hysterically.

Anna- Thanks for the cookies! I feel privileged—I doubt too many homemade cookies get shipped over the Atlantic…they were awesome!

Dan- Thanks for putting that stuff together…I’m glad you love technology… Oh and I’m glad that you know Nacho Libre is the bombdiggity! Yes, I actually wrote that! And I don’t care because, “These are my stretchy pants!!”

Dad- Thanks for the books! Can you believe I used to hate reading? And the video too; it was great! Pretty nice pink sticky note on the world map too…

Grandma D. and Grandpa L. - Thanks for the card and gift!!

Jesus- Thanks for being born!

Jon- Thanks for the books too…I already read Rob Bell’s…simply a masterpiece.

Julie M. - It was so thoughtful of you to remember us here! Hope you’re loving the youth pastoring!!

Mical- What a nice letter you wrote! Thanks so much, except next time warn me before you write about a late hamster and I have to ask the whole group to figure out what you were talking about and Paul happens to be in the room and hears it and gets his heart broken. Sheesh. Don’t worry; I still think you’re great.

Mom- You know the way to my heart…thanks for the candy…the kids loved it too! J

Paul J. - Thanks for breakfast. Now I can live another day.

Rich- Thanks for the intellectually stimulating, awe-inspiring, brain-boggling, time-tested, scientifically proven, historically critical masterpiece of a book entitled, “Everyone Poops.” I have arrived.

I’m really sorry if I have forgotten anyone or anything, please forgive me. I hope that you all had a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

After a short but definitely sweet visit from Rich and Brady from Spark, here we are…two months left. It’s hard to believe it’s almost the end of January…

The girls are back in school and staying very busy with teaching all of the munchkins. Aaron’s been a little sick, but he’s doing much better now, so we’re thankful for safety and good health for the whole team!

I’ll leave you with this story:

During the first part of December, we reinforced the church structure. One day we were tearing down the old lumber and taking out the nails so that we could use it with the new lumber in order to make the structure stronger. I was working with this guy named BaJohn and we were making some good progress when all of the sudden, I looked up and he was gone! I yelled out his name in a frustrated voice, and peaked outside of the structure’s walls, and there he was, walking down the road to the little stand that sells snacks, etc. I returned to my work annoyed and full of pride and continued working alone. A couple of minutes later, he came back with a package of cookies. I saw them, and thought, “Fair enough, a mid-afternoon snack. Everybody needs that once in a while.” But to my surprise, in his broken English, he said something to the effect of, “I got these for you. All of them.” Feeling rather sheepish, I graciously accepted a cookie and went back to work. He ate one and rested on a bench. Every couple of minutes he gave me another cookie, which I could not resist, and I went on pretending to care more about the work than about his gracious and generous act of kindness. This guy is about 60 years old. The average life expectancy for a Zambian man is 37, so he has outlived a very high percentage of his fellow men by a lot of years. He doesn’t have a lot of money. And he bought cookies, because he wanted to share them with his friend, Tom.
BaJohn rescued me that day. He rescued me from thinking that the work I was doing was more significant and more important than the people around me. I hope you can get something from this story too. So you’re ambitious and you have a lot of successful accomplishments? That’s great—but do you take the time to appreciate the people with whom you work and sweat next to every day? Don’t forget that…when you’re gone, people won’t care how much you got done if you didn’t care about them in the first place… I learned more about love, generosity, compassionate sacrifice that day with BaJohn than I have in many years combined prior. If there were more people who lived like John in the world, it’d be a better place for everyone, that’s for sure.

Grace and peace to all of you.

Love,
Tommy D.

No comments: